Back-to-back FETs optimize protection and performance for 24-V and 48-V rail applications
Texas Instruments (TI) on Nov. 02, 2016, introduced the first single-chip eFuse with back-to-back FETs, providing the industry’s highest rating of protection at up to 60 V. Offering on-chip advanced features including reverse polarity protection and reverse current blocking, the TPS2660 is the most integrated eFuse on the power management market for 24-V and 48-V rail applications in industrial, automotive and communication infrastructure designs. For more details, see www.ti.com/TPS2660-pr.
Key features and benefits of the TPS2660 eFuse
- Integrated back-to-back FETs: The device’s unique architecture equips the TPS2660 with the following:
- Enables reverse polarity protection to help guard the system load from miswiring, which can occur in industrial equipment that use screw terminals.
- Reverse current blocking prevents current from flowing backward from the output side to the input side.
- Advanced protection and integration reduce board space up to 40 percent by eliminating the need for external components.
- Adjustable overvoltage protection up to 60 V: Helps designers pass industry-standard surge-compliance tests more quickly and reliably, including the electrical fast transient (EFT) test.
Start designing now with the Input Protection and Backup Supply Design for 25W PLC Controller Unit, in which the LM5002 and LM5160 DC/DC converters provide backup power supply to meet International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 61000-4 specifications.
The TPS2660 is the newest addition to TI’s portfolio of eFuses, providing protection against overvoltage, overcurrent and short-circuit events for applications. The portfolio encompasses protection devices for industrial, personal electronics, automotive and enterprise systems.
Pricing and availability
The eFuse is available now in the TI store and through the company’s authorized distribution network. The TPS2660 comes in a 4.4-mm-by-5-mm thin shrink small outline package (TSSOP) and is priced at US$2.20 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI eFuses
- Read the blog post, “How an eFuse can help to provide robust industrial power path protection.”
- Download the application note, “The TPS2660 Simplifies Surge and Power-Fail Protection Circuits in PLC System.”
- Download the TPS2660 design calculatorfor help selecting external components.
- Visit the TI E2E™ Community Load Switches and Power Path Protection forumto search for solutions, get help, share knowledge, and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.