SAN JOSE, Calif.—April 1, 2019—Designers can now enable smarter digital factories with the MAX22513 surge-protected, dual-driver IO-Link device transceiver with integrated DC-DC buck regulator from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. As the industry’s smallest, most power-efficient and robust IO-Link device transceiver, it is ideal for industrial IO-Link sensors and actuator devices.·
As Industry 4.0 systems become smarter, sensor and actuator devices must continue to become smaller and more robust while dissipating less power to easily adapt to their manufacturing environments. In addition, integrating multiple discrete solutions into a design makes it difficult for designers to create robust working solutions while meeting time-to-market demands.
The MAX22513 continues Maxim’s leadership in enabling adaptive manufacturing for Industry 4.0 applications. By integrating the DC-DC regulator and surge protection while providing 4x lower power dissipation and 3x smaller size versus the closest competitor, Maxim continues to enable the trend towards shrinking IO-Link designs that need robust communications with faster time to market. In addition, integrated surge protection and reverse polarity ensure robust communications in harsh industrial environments to speed up the design process. The IC operates over the -40-degree Celsius to +125-degree Celsius temperature range and is available in both a 28-pin QFN package (3.5mm x 5.5mm) and a WLP (4.1mm x 2.1mm).
- Small Size: Highly integrated IC simplifies design process and shrinks solution size by 3x compared to closest competitor; Integrated surge protection eliminates four TVS diodes compared to Maxim’s previous solution
- Low Power: 4x lower power dissipation is enabled by low 2Ω (typical) on-resistance drivers as well as a 300mA (maximum load) DC-DC regulator with 80 percent efficiency
- Robust Communications: All four IO pins are reverse-voltage protected, short-circuit protected and feature ±1kV/500Ω surge protection
- “High integration of this caliber has many benefits, but also provides simpler design and faster time to market for designers,” said Susie Inouye, research director at Databeans.
- “We continue to focus on enabling smaller, lower power and more highly integrated solutions to meet the demands of shrinking, robust IO-Link design,” said Timothy Leung, director, Industrial and Healthcare Business Unit at Maxim Integrated.
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX22513 is available at Maxim’s website for $3.75 (1000-up, FOB USA); also available from authorized distributors
- The MAX22513EVKIT# evaluation kit is available for $135
- The MAXREFDES171# reference design is fully tested for ±1.2kV/500Ω surge protection; available at Maxim’s website
Learn more at https://www.maximintegrated.com.