Mouser Electronics and sponsor of the Create the Future Design Contest, joins in recognizing the 2020 contest winners, who were announced at a special virtual awards ceremony on November 10. Mouser’s valued suppliers Intel and Analog Devices, Inc. teamed with Mouser in sponsoring the 18th annual contest, produced by SAE Media Group, an SAE International Company.
“We congratulate this year’s winners and thank all of the entrants for their participation,” said Kevin Hess, Mouser Senior Vice President of Marketing. “Mouser strives to empower innovation, and we are proud to sponsor the Create the Future Design Contest and its mission to foster and reward ingenuity.”
Together with COMSOL and SAE Media Group, Mouser will award the $20,000 grand prize to the team at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, who developed RepelWrap, a nature-inspired, transparent and flexible plastic film that significantly repels contamination.
Finalists were selected by senior editors at SAE Media Group, producer of the contest, and judged by an independent panel of design engineers. Judges awarded the following category winners, who received prizes from HP and other companies:
- Grand Prize — RepelWrap. A nature-inspired surface technology for repelling contamination.
- Aerospace & Defense — Niobium Connector (NiobiCon™). A self-insulating underwater connector technology with transitional metals that resist corrosion.
- Automotive/Transportation — Low Noise Laser for LIDAR. A compact optical laser technology that improves the purity of a laser’s color 1000x in a compact package.
- Consumer Products — Ring: Prosthetic Leg Grows Along with Children. An adjustable, custom-made prosthetic leg for transtibial amputee children in developing countries.
- Electronics/Sensors/IoT — Print IC: Flexible and Recyclable Integrated Circuits and Systems. A technology for making integrated circuits with only carbon-based materials and using only standard printing techniques.
- Manufacturing/Automation/Robotics — RadiBond – Sustainable, ultra-strong and ultra-tight assembly of lightweight materials for transportation
- Medical — A Chip Off the Old Box: Painless Defibrillation. A miniaturized implantable wireless, battery-less pacing system.
- Sustainable Technologies — Flash Graphene. Process to turn bulk quantities of almost any carbon source into valuable graphene flakes.
The Create the Future Design Contest brings attention to product designs that enhance quality of life, improve the efficiency and quality of healthcare or help to reduce dependence on nonrenewable energy sources. The contest was created in 2002 by the publishers of Tech Briefs magazine to help stimulate and reward engineering innovation.
For more information, go to https://www.mouser.com/createthefuture/.