Abstract: Nowadays, several companies are considering to implement edge AI software for widespread automation in work procedures to enable smooth functioning of the operational flow. When edge AI is linked with storage solutions, it offers leading-edge performance and unlimited scalability that empowers companies to use their data proficiently. As edge AI is yet in its primitive stage there are yet many more applications of this technology that are going to emerge in the coming future.
With the exponential rise in the applications of Internet of Things (IoT) and mobile computing, a massive number of mobile as well as IoT devices are being linked to the Internet, thus producing enormous quantities of data at the network edge. When massive volumes of data is collected in cloud data centres, a very high latency is incurred and great network bandwidth is utilized. As a result, there is an imperative need to shove the limits of artificial intelligence (AI) to the network edge to completely unravel the latent of big data. Edge AI technology is the amalgamation of AI and edge computing. As per a report by Research Dive, the global edge AI software market is foreseen to garner $3,093.2 million by 2027. With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the market growth is accelerating significantly as several companies are considering to implement edge AI software for widespread automation in work procedures to enable smooth functioning of the operational flow.
How will Edge AI enable Revolutionary Transformation in Enterprises?
A proficient edge AI software possesses an optimized infrastructure for edge computing that holds the potential to deal with massive AI tasks on the edge as well as near the edge. When edge AI is linked with storage solutions, it offers leading-edge performance and unlimited scalability that empowers companies to use their data proficiently.
Numerous businesses across the globe have already started harnessing the advantages of edge AI. This technology can be beneficial in several industries in numerous ways, such as from enhancing the production monitoring of an assembly line to driving autonomous cars. Furthermore, the introduction of 5G technology in numerous nations is giving an additional boom for edge AI technology as more lucrative applications of this ground-breaking technology endure to evolve.
What are the Different Applications of Edge AI?
Edge AI technology enables successful implementation of mission-critical, scalable, and remote AI applications. As edge AI is yet in its primitive stage there are yet many more applications of this technology that are going to emerge in the coming future. Some of the current applications of this astonishing technology are as follows:
- Smart AI Vision & Computer Vision: Edge AI technology can be used for live video analytics to power AI vision systems in numerous industrial sectors. Intel, an industry frontrunner, developing world-changing technology, has developed Visual Processing Units, a special co-processor, to enable high-performance computer vision applications to edge devices.
- Entertainment: Edge AI technology can be used in entertainment industry in areas such as augmented reality (AR), virtual reality, and mixed reality, and for streaming video content to virtual reality glasses. Recently, Microsoft came up with HoloLens, a holographic computer developed onto a headset for an AR experience. Using HoloLens, Microsoft intends to develop standard data analysis, computing, medical imaging, and gaming-at-the-edge tools.
- AI Health Care: Edge AI technology can be used in medical applications such as remote diagnostics and surgery, monitoring of patients’ vital symptoms, and others. Using this technology, physicians can use a remote interface to operate surgical instruments from a distant, safe, and comfortable location.
- Smart Industries: Edge AI technology can be used in factories in areas such as smart machines, for improving safety and efficiency. For instance, workers at factories can make use of a remote interface to process heavy machineries, mainly those positioned at risky and hard-to-reach sites.
- Smart Transport Systems: Edge AI technology can be used by drivers to share or collect data from traffic information centres to avoid vehicles that are at risk or stop abruptly, in a real-time to avoid mishaps. Furthermore, using this technology, unmanned vehicles can sense their environs and navigate safely without human intervention.
- Smart Energy: Edge AI technology can be used in connected wind farms. Wind farms use numerous data-producing devices or sensors like security sensors, access sensors for workforces, video surveillance cameras, and sensors on wind turbines. The implementation of edge-cloud systems in wind farms reduces expenses as compared to the cloud-only systems.
Technologies Thriving Edge AI Development
Advancements in technologies such as machine learning, data science, and IoT development have a more substantial role in the arena of edge AI technology. Nevertheless, the actual challenge resides in strictly following the trajectory of the advances in computer science. Particularly, next-gen AI-enabled devices and applications can fit seamlessly within the AI and machine learning network.
Luckily, the arena of edge computing is experiencing significant developments in hardware that will improve the current limitations of the edge AI technology. Start-up businesses, such as Esperanto Technologies, Sima.ai, and AIStorm, are amongst the few companies producing microchips that can deal with heavy AI tasks. It is undeniable that edge AI technology holds the potential to unlock a completely novel world of opportunities and insights across numerous industries. The list of applications of edge AI technology will keep growing with time and advancements. Just round the corner, by catering personal as well as business requirements, edge AI technology will grow into a traditional, everyday technology.
About the Author:
Aishwarya Korgaonkar holds a bachelor’s degree in Information Technology from the esteemed Mumbai University. Being creative and artistic, she leaped into the field of digital marketing and content writing. Her love for words makes her write creative and spellbinding content that adds colours to the world.